Potato Gnocchi9th June 2016
Eggs with Black Truffles (Brouillade de Truffes)23rd June 2016
Truffles are considered the diamond of the kitchen around the world. These highly sought after mushrooms add an incredible, incomparable favour and luxury to any plate. How much do you know about truffles? Let us explore some interesting facts about truffles. Who knows? You might even learn something new.
- Truffles always grow alongside a host tree as they are a fungus. The truffles give the tree their phosphorus while the tree gives them the necessary sugars to help them grow.
- It is believed in ancient Greek mythology that truffles were made when lightening hit the damp soil.
- Trained dogs and even pigs are used to sniff out the truffles. This is because truffles produce a chemical that is almost identical in scent to the sex pheromone found in a male pig’s saliva. This is why the animals can sniff them out.
- France produces up to 1000kg per year, which makes them the biggest producer of truffles.
- White truffles are considered superior to black truffles because of their taste.
There are a wide spectrum of truffle recipes that you could use to spice up your menu. Browse our recipes section to explore them. Contact The Truffle Kitchen today and place your order for the best quality truffles in South Africa.